I often think to myself that I have too many clothes but I’ve come to realize that amongst all these clothes, I really do not have enough of the must have wardrobe essentials or “staple pieces” that all women should have. I decided to create a top 10 shopping list for clothes and accessories that make a good foundation for any women’s wardrobe. These top 10 wardrobe essentials I have decided on are all practical, yet classic pieces which you can build your wardrobe around.
In my mind to be considered wardrobe essentials an article of clothing needs to be versatile, great quality and classic (something that won’t go out of style).
I have found that a lot of wardrobe must-have items are black. Black garments are great for many reasons. No one will know how often you wear them, the color is flattering on every person & every body type and you’re free to add color in other areas of your outfit…so have fun with prints or great accessories.
1. LBD “Little Black Dress” - The basic black dress has been around for a long time and is not going anywhere. It is one of the top wardrobe essentials for all women! This should be sexy, yet sophisticated. Something that can be worn from day to night. We love this LBD from White House Black Market.
Perfect for a busy day at the office. Pair it with a pair of stunning earrings and matching bracelet when you meet the girls for a drink.
2. Black Blazer - The black blazer is key in your wardrobe. Because it’s black, it goes with virtually everything. You can change the look just by changing the accessories. You can wear a blazer comfortably and fashionably either open or closed and you have the option of wearing it over dresses or skirts, as well as with pants.
3. Dress Pants – Typically black is the best option as they go with everything. You can always add color with your accessories or top. Check out these classic dress pants from Express.
4. Classic Shirt – The 4th of my top 10 wardrobe essentials is a white button down classic shirt. (Not one from your husband’s closet) Find one that accentuates your best features. You can wear a white shirt on its own, tucked in or out, under a sweater, under a jacket, or as part of a suit. We love this cascading ruffle shirt from Gap!
5. Jeans – Everyone should have a pair of their favorite jeans that makes them feel great! The good news is that nowadays jean companies are making jeans to accommodate every body type. So figure out what your body type is, then pick the cut of your jeans accordingly. Here are a couple suggestions:
- If you have great legs, you may want a pair of skinny jeans.
- If you want to direct attention away from your waist area, choose a flared jean.
6. Pair of Black Pumps - Black pumps go with everything and they can also go from day to night. If you can afford only one pair of black pumps, go with a dressier pair; shoes are generally easier to dress down than to dress up. We love these ariel heels from BCBG, available at Zappos.com.
7. Skirt - A skirt is womanly and can be flirty or businesslike. A black knee length skirt is perfect as it is great in all seasons.
8. Black Handbag - A black bag is a perfect everywhere bag. A bag you can wear to work, to lunch, to dinner and even shopping on the weekend. It goes with everything and you’ll feel comfortable using it with whatever color or prints you may be wearing.
9. Set of Pearls - These can be such a gorgeous accent to any outfit. Pearls aren’t just for those who prefer classic styles. There are many ways to wear them, and a long strand can be worn with a funkier outfit. Obviously, real pearls are expensive…so if you can borrow them from Mom.. go for it. If not, you can buy fakes. Just play around with them. Check out these knotted pearls from ChiChi Collections.
10. Cardigan - The last of my top 10 wardrobe essentials is a cardigan. Cardigan sweaters are great for those times when you don’t know what the weather will be like. Also great when it’s the middle of summer and you get stuck in a ridiculously cold air-conditioned restaurant or office. If you get warm, you can always throw the cardigan over your shoulders and tie around your neck. And if you’re chilly, you can wear it. Obviously you are more likely to wear a black more often, but if you want to add a little color to your must have’s…I’m all for it!
11. Bonus - We all deserve a bonus, right? So buy a trendy item to add to your wardrobe! Check out the new trendy items at ChiChi Collections.