As a second time nursing mom, I have to say this time around is so much easier! I nursed my first son for 8 months and have been nursing my second for about 5 months now. I wanted to share my top 10 must haves for nursing moms because they have made nursing so much simpler for me. Nursing is a lot of work and I’ve spent a lot of time researching products, reading reviews and searching for the must haves for nursing moms. I hope this list of must haves for nursing moms helps make your nursing experience a rewarding one.
Top 10 Must Haves for Nursing Moms
1. Hands Free Breast Pump Bra – Yes, this is a must have for nursing moms! It will allow you to multi-task while you are pumping throughout the day. I love this pumping bra from Simple Wishes.
2. Nursing Tops – Nursing tops make nursing in public so much easier. I love layering nursing tops with cardigans. That way you can still pull off a trendy look and you can have easy access when your little one is ready to eat! This is another one of my favorite nursing top cardigans.
3. Breast Pads – My favorite brand of breast pads is Lansinoch. I tried several types, but found these to be the most comfortable and a great price.
4. Milk Storage Bags – Again, I’ve tried several brands but my favorite milk storage bags are Lansinoch. *TIP* Store your milk bags flat until they are frozen, then use a box (I like to use my empty Keurig K-Cup boxes) and cut off the top half so that the bags stand up nicely in the box.
5. Nursing Cover – Another must have for nursing moms is a good nursing cover. I have the Bebe au Lait cover and it works great to keep us covered while nursing in public.
6. Nursing Bras – There are many nursing bras on the market and I’d suggest just trying them on. I purchased my bras from Motherhood Maternity because we have a retail store near us. I love this daytime nursing bra and this nighttime nursing bra. Remember the key to nursing bras is comfort.*TIP*Wait to purchase your nursing bras until after you’ve had the baby. You will be a completely different size once your milk comes in…so wait!
7. Boppy Pillow – I use my boppy pillow every time I nurse my son, therefore I think it’s a must have for nursing moms. It boosts your baby up a little and makes nursing more comfortable.
8. Burp Cloths – This is for sure a must have for nursing moms if your babies are anything like mine! They loved to spit up. I go through probably 10 burp cloths a day. I prefer the cheap, I think they are Babies R Us brand, burp cloths. Opt for thin ones because they lay well on your shoulder and don’t fall off.
9. Water – And lots of it! Staying hydrated is probably one of the most important things for nursing moms to do.
10. Pump – The last must have for nursing moms is a pump. I have the Medela Pump in Style Advanced and used it for my first child and am now using it for my second. I’m sure there are newer models on the market, such as cordless pumps(which would be so nice)…but I didn’t want to spend the money to upgrade since this pump still works perfectly.
I hope these 10 must haves for nursing moms makes your life a little easier. I’ve done a lot of trial and error with products for my kids and am happy to have found some great ones that I highly recommend to you while nursing.